Saturday 8 September 2012

Wine Tasting and a Scavenger Hunt around the city

Yesterday, I went to the university to have my picture taken for my student ID card and then got lunch with the other girls from Elon and a girl from Vancouver. We went to a sandwich place near the school that has really good deals on sandwich-dessert-drink combos. I had a very French "sandwich au jambon et fromage" (ham and cheese) and for dessert I had a chocolate and banana tart that was so good. I also got some tea with my lunch. (I wasn't sure if tea would be popular here, but luckily I have been able to satisfy my tea addiction!) It was a really good lunch and I'm definitely going to eat there on some days that we have classes. After lunch, we went back to ESDES to take our French placement test to see what level we should be in for our French classes. It was mostly multiple choice and matching, and I didn't think it was too hard. We walked around a little and went back to one of the other Elon girl's apartment to hang out.

At night, there was an event hosted by the IBP Club. It's a group of French students who help plan events for the students in the International Business Program to help us get acclimated to the French culture and lifestyle. We went to a bar called Le Ballon where we met lots of other international students and some French students too. We got to sample different kinds of wine and had a fun time!

Today, a bunch of the international students met at the school for an event put on by ESDES. We were put into groups and did a scavenger hunt round the city. I was in a group with a girl from Italy, a girl from Spain, a girl from the Philippines, and a girl from China. I had never met any of those girls so it was fun to get to know them. The scavenger hunt was mostly around Vieux Lyon. Since my dorm is near that section of the city, I thought I had already seen a lot of the sights there but there were so many cool places that I hadn't seen yet! We walked through a cathedral and historic areas and interacted with locals a lot. It was really cool to experience more of the city.

After lunch, my group went to a cafe and then when we were heading back to our dorms, I rode the Metro for the first time.

Now I'm getting ready to go to dinner with some girls and from there, I'll see where the night takes me! Au revoir for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment