Wednesday 5 September 2012

Just a few hours in Europe and I'm already obsessed!


Wow, the last 16 hours have been absolutely crazy! Last night, I flew out of Boston around 7:30 PM, saying goodbye to the USA and "Bonjour" to four months of French living.

After a very long plane ride (and sitting next to an Eastern European man who did not understand the concept of personal space), we landed in London where I had a layover. From the plane, I could see some a lot of the English countryside, which looked so pretty, and as we were approaching the airport, we saw a castle out of nowhere, which was really cool! (I’m pretty sure it was Windsor Castle.) After navigating the complicated London Heathrow Airport, I had some time to experience English life while waiting to board my plane to Lyon. I window-shopped in Harrods, bought a copy of the UK Cosmo magazine, and enjoyed a nice cup of authentic English tea, while listening to all the English accents around me.

Once I got to Lyon, I was lucky enough to find another Elon girl, Taylor, who is also in the ESDES International Business Program and is in my dorm, so we shared a cab to Maison St. Bernard. During the ride to our dorm, we got to see a little of the city including a cool castle off in the distance that we want to check out sometime. Once we were all checked into our dorm, we went to our rooms and started to unpack. I was surprised at how much space my room has considering it’s a single. I got all of my clothes organized and started in on organizing my accessories, electronics, toiletries, etc. I realized that I didn’t bring a towel because I thought they would give us a towel along with our bedding, but they didn’t. And something that I found strange about the bathrooms in the dorm is that they don’t have sinks! Luckily I have a sink in my room. Behind the dorm, there are some really cool Roman ruins

After a couple hours of unpacking, Taylor and I decided to go into the city to explore a little. We walked along the Sâone River which is right next to our dorm and walked through lots of little streets lined with shops, restaurants, pubs, and apartments. We even happened to stumble upon the building where our classes will be. It was really cool seeing part of the city and taking in more of the French culture.

Tonight, I’m going to dinner with some girls and then we will probably walk around the city a little more so there will be more excitement to come.

I am already loving Lyon and I’m so glad that I decided to come here for the semester. Pictures will be coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment