Wednesday 24 October 2012

Fluo Party, Wine Tasting in the Beaujolais, and a Delicious Home-cooked Meal!

The first day since my last post was a Monday, and you know what that means... Cosmo! In addition to Cosmo tonight, there was also a big Erasmus party that was "fluo themed" (aka a fluorescent paint party!) Some of us went to Cosmo for a little while before heading to the party. You could get body paint when you got there and some of the IBP club members from France gave everyone a "mission" when they got there. My mission was to get a free drink from the bar, which was hard enough since it took so long to even get through the crowd to the bar, and then it was impossible for me to reason with the bartender in French as to why I shouldn't have to pay for the drink. Unfortunately, my mission was not accomplished! The night was really fun. We danced a lot and again, we were there until the morning. We caught the first tram home, and I was so happy that I got to sleep late because I had no classes the next day!
some of the girls at Cosmo before the Fluo Party
getting crazy in the metro station on the way to the party!
On Tuesday, after sleeping until noon, I met up with Virginia to get some food from Brioche Doree and then meet up with people at the school to go on a wine tasting! The IBP had organised a wine tasting for us in the Beaujolais region of France which is about a half hour outside the city. It was so cool and the village we were in was so cute and very French-looking! Once we got to the vineyard, the woman who lived there told us about how they make their wine and then gave us some wine to sample and goat cheese to taste. We tried a rosé, white, and two red wines. The wine and cheese were so good and she kept refilling our glasses so quite a few people got a little tipsy! After a while, an adorable little dog came running in and everyone took turns petting it and loving on it. Of course she wasn't as cute as little Chloe, but it made me miss her! Something weird that I experienced in this vineyard was that the bathroom did not actually have a toilet--it was literally a hole in the ground with a bar to hold onto while squatting. It was really gross and I decided not to use it and wait until we got back to Lyon. The bus ride back was fun. Some people were pretty drunk so they acted crazy and we got some really pretty views of the French countryside! After getting back to Lyon, I went with Virginia and Julie to get tacos from Hotel de Ville, which were delicious. I think I am starting to develop a bit of an addiction to these tacos!
on the way to the wine tasting!
I loved playing with this cute little dog!
On Wednesday, I had my first test of the whole semester so far. It was in my French Language class and I thought it would be really hard, but it was a lot better than I had expected! Later on, there was a buffet for international students. It was fun to see everyone but the food wasn't all that great. I had expected actual food and went to it really hungry, but it ended up just being appetizers. They were still ok though!

On Thursday, a few of us went to my friend Ciela's apartment to have a home-cooked meal. She is staying with a host mother, so she had an actual kitchen which was nice! We made chicken, potatoes, and vegetables and I was really impressed with us because it ended up being delicious! After dinner, there had been a Latino-themed party that I was really looking forward to, but I wasn't feeling great and wanted to feel good for Paris (and I had to get up at 8AM the next morning), so I decided to go home and rest instead of having another late night.
dinner at Ciela's!
On Friday, I had to go to a medical examination with a bunch of other IBPs for something called the OFII. Certain consulates make you do it and the two of us from Boston had to. It has to do with immigration, so if I wanted to become a French citizen, I probably could! At the examination, they just did all the basics--height, weight, blood pressure, x-ray, etc. It didn't last that long and when it was over, I got lunch with some other girls at Subway. I got to miss my French class because of the medical exam so I got some time to relax which was nice! Later on that night when I was at my dorm I found out that I had received a package from home! I was so excited when I opened up the package to see that I had received my winter coat, some candy, and lots of other stuff! I started to get myself packed because the next day, I was leaving to go to Paris for the weekend. After that, I went to the stairs with some friends. It was fun for a while, but there were some sketchy guys hanging around our group and I ended up getting my wallet and camera stolen out of my bag without anyone even noticing. I was really upset about losing my camera and didn't know what to do since I was leaving for Paris the next morning and had no money and no camera! Luckily, I had only had about 5€ in my wallet and I managed to get my debit card cancelled as soon as I got back to my dorm. I guess I was lucky because the situation could have been a lot worse. I'll just need to make sure I'm more careful in the future. And luckily the weekend turned around and I had an amazing time in Paris...

No comments:

Post a Comment